More than 60 Years of Innovation and Technology Leadership
Using foresight to get ahead right from the start
SEMIKRON was founded in 1951 by Dr Friedrich Josef Martin (1914-1974). In the space of just a few years, the entrepreneur from Nuremberg had secured important markets in the field of power electronics through founding subsidiary companies in countries including Brazil, France, Italy and England. Today, the family business is in its third generation and has a staff of more than 3,000 people world-wide. With a history more than 60 years of innovation, SEMIKRON has gone from strength to strength. Today SEMIKRON is a global leader in power electronics.
Innovation has been a key ingredient in our success. Many of SEMIKRON's innovations in the field of power electronics are now the industry standard. For example, with the SEMIPACK®, SEMIKRON invented the first power module with insulated design worldwide.
Evolution & SEMIKRON technologies
Always a step ahead
- 2011 - SKiN technology® replaces wire bonds with a flexible film. A sinter layer on both sides replaces thermal paste.
- 2007 - SiNTER technology – The solder layer between heat sink and DCB and DCB and chip is replaced by a cold-welded silver layer.
- 1996 - SPRiNG technology – Spring loaded contacts replace solder pins
- 1992 - SKiiP technology – Pressure contact technology reduces number of solder layers. Copper base plate is no longer necessary.
- 1974 - Solder technology – Standard technology using solder pins and screw terminals
Innovation & SEMIKRON products
Powerful and forward-looking from the beginning to the present day
- 2013 - SKiiP® X – New benchmark for availability under difficult conditions
- 2009 - SKiiP®4 – At 3600 A, the most powerful module for wind power and traction applications to date
- 2008 - MiniSKiiP® IPM – The first power module for solder-free assembly. SKYPER® – with full digital signal processing
- 2007 - SKiM® – 100 per cent solder-free IGBT Module for hybrid vehicles.
- 2006 - SEMiSTART™ for soft-start devices
- 2005 - SEMiX® – Rectifier with solder-free spring loaded contacts for electric terminals
- 2004 - SKYPER® IGBT – New driver family launched onto the market
- 2003 - SEMiX® – First flat IGBT half-bridge family of 250 to 900 A with solder-free spring loaded contacts for electric terminals
- 2002 - MiniSKiiP®II – Second generation of Converter Inverter Brake modules up to 30 kW
- 2001 - Integrated converters for hybrid electric vehicles
- 2000 - Low-power rectifier – Fast axial Schottky diodes, Zener diodes, press-fit diodes, low-level rectifier bridges and SMDs
- 1999 - SKiM® 6-pack IGBT – Modules with driver electronics
- 1998 - SEMITOP® – Rectifier circuits with solder pins for PCB assembly
- 1996 - MiniSKiiP® – First integrated IGBT rectifier circuit in solder-free spring contact technology.
- 1995 - ASICs – Optimisation of electronic assemblies with ASICs, in order to be able to control MOSFET and IGBT modules.
- 1992 - SKiiP® – First IPMs (Intelligent Power Modules) with integrated driver and SKiiP® pressure contact technology for high-power applications
- 1987 - SEMITRANS™ – MOSFET modules for electric vehicles, high frequency generators, induction and lasers
- 1984 - SEMITRANS™ – Bipolar Darlington transistor modules
- 1981 - SEMIPACK® – Modules with fast thyristors and diodes. Introduction of glass passivation and square chips
- 1976 - Disc-type thyristors for DC drives and AC converters
- 1974 - SEMIPACK® – The first insulated thyristor/diode module in the world.
- 1967 - First thyristors for DC drives, 3-phase soft-start devices and 3-phase AC current controllers
- 1964 - The first 1A plastic diode for direct PCB assembly in radio and television equipment worldwide
- 1963 - First encapsulated bridge rectifier
- 1961 - First avalanche rectifier diode
- 1959 - First silicon diode made from silicon wafers – very useful in current measurement
Activities and locations, cooperation, charity
Continually looking ahead
- 2014 - The B2B e-commerce channel SindoPower is renamed under the SEMIKRON brand as SEMIKRON Online Shop.
- 2012 - SEMIKRON, SindoPower, Epcos, LEM, Mersen, Proton Electrotex, and Weidmüller together found the joint power electronics platform PowerGuru, in order to concentrate knowledge of power electronics online.
- 2010 - "SEMIKRON Foundation – International Aid" is born
- 2009 - Founding of SindoPower, a B2B e-commerce portal
- 2008 - Cooperation with Fuji Electric Device Technology Co., Ltd., Japan
- 2005 - Founding of SEMIKRON China
- 2002 - Founding of SEMIKRON Russia
- 2001 - Founding of SEMIKRON Denmark; Founding of SEMIKRON India; Founding of SEMIKRON Česko
- 1999 - Founding of SEMIKRON Polska; Founding of SEMIKRON Slovensko
- 1998 - Founding of SEMIKRON Hong Kong
- 1995 - Founding of SEMIKRON New Zealand
- 1986 - Founding of SEMIKRON Korea
- 1985 - Founding of SEMIKRON Suomi
- 1978 - Founding of SEMIKRON Australia; Founding of SEMIKRON Japan
- 1977 - Founding of SEMIKRON Spain
- 1976 - Founding of SEMIKRON South Africa
- 1975 - Founding of SEMIKRON Schweiz; Founding of SEMIKRON USA
- 1974 - Peter Martin and Dr Heinrich Heilbronner take over as managing directors of the company after the unexpected death of founder Dr Friedrich Josef Martin.
- 1972 - Founding of SEMIKRON United Kingdom
- 1971 - Founding of SEMIKRON Belgium
- 1968 - Founding of SEMIKRON Sverige
- 1966 - Founding of SEMIKRON Mexico
- 1963 - Founding of SEMIKRON Brasil; Founding of SEMIKRON Austria
- 1962 - Founding of SEMIKRON Nederland; Founding of SEMIKRON Italia
- 1959 - Founding of SEMIKRON France
- 1954 - Start of semiconductor production at SEMIKRON
- 1951 - Founded by Dr Friedrich Josef Martin